Google

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tim McGraw Apologizes for Release of New Greatest Hits Package

Tim McGrawArtists and record labels frequently disagree about business matters, but Tim McGraw has taken it a step farther by publicly apologizing to fans for Curb Records' decision to release his Greatest Hits 3 compilation which arrived in stores on Oct. 7.In a statement issued Tuesday (Oct. 14) by his publicist, McGraw said the new CD was released without his involvement. Noting he has been working on a new album for more than a year and debuted three new songs on this year's Live Your Voice tour, McGraw said he wanted to release the CD of new material this fall. However, he said Curb wanted to release the greatest hits album to extend the term of his recording contract."I am saddened and disappointed that my label chose to put out another hits album instead of new music," he said. "I've only had one studio album since my last hits package. It has to be just as confusing to the fans as it is to me. I had no involvement in the creation or presentation of this record. Sure, I love the songs, and I don't want to take anything away from all the creative people who were a part of making those records. But the whole concept is an embarrassment to me as an artist. In the spirit of an election year, I would simply say to my fans, 'I'm Tim McGraw, and I don't approve their message.'"McGraw has had previous disputes with Curb Records. In a similar situation that took place in 2000, McGraw wanted to release an album of new material, but the label instead released his first greatest hits album in time for the holiday gift-buying season. McGraw's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 was released on March 28, 2006.